Cleaning Tips + The Ring
Now that I'm finally moving into my renovated house, I'm on a cleaning kick. I recently read an article on cleaning and realized there have been several mistakes I've been making so want to share some ones I think are important:
1. Don't put a rinsed toilet brush right back in its holder because moisture breeds bacteria so clamp it under the toilet seat over the bowl until it dries before returning it to the holder.
2. Don't scrub stains like pet urine, red wine, and coffee when trying to clean your carpet. As soon as you notice the spill, use a paper towel to sop up as much liquid as possible. Next, douse the spot with club soda or ice water and blot again with another dry towel. Step on the towel to try to absorb as much as you can and repeat the blotting until no more color is transferred to the towel. IF the stain persists, apply a stain remover and repeat the process.
3. Don't spray cleaner directly on a surface and instead spray it in the a microfiber cloth unless the surfaces you're cleaning are extremely dirty. Not only will doing this leave less residue behind but your bottle of cleaner will last longer as well.
4. The best time to clean windows is in the late afternoon or evening because glass cleaner dries much more quickly in sunlight, leaving streaks.
5. Toss your sponges into the top rack of the dishwasher or heat wet ones in the microwave for two minutes because food and bacteria hide in a sponge's crevices (and clean them daily around the holidays).
6. Standard vacuuming on a wood or tile floor often blows away as much as it collects so you're really just moving debris round the room. For more controlled suction, use the wand attachment and try to prep before you vacuum by using a broom or Swiffer to collect dust and debris into piles first.
7. When cleaning, wear gloves because your skin is super absorbent and will soak up almost any substance that touches its surface. Even natural products can dry out hands but avoid chalky rubber or latex gloves so try ones with a lined cotton interior like Playtex Living Drip-Catch Cuff Gloves.
My lovely MOH and bridesmaids have all booked my bachelorette trip to New Orleans and I am beyond excited! To be honest, I look the most forward to being able to hold a penguin. :)
One of my good friends asked me if I would be wearing my engagement ring on the trip and my immediate response was, "of course!" but then after another good friend of mine told me she bought a replica ring, I realized that's a much smarter idea. Instead of buying a rose gold ring like I really wanted to, I ended up finding and buying a replica of my own ring here and it's only $15! So yes, now I do recommend buying a replica ring to take with you on vacations so your real ring is safe at home. :)
Leaving you with the quote of the day, "The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer." -Peter F. Drucker